Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Corn Chowder

I don't think I've posted a recipe at all on this blog yet; so here's to my first!
Homemade Corn Chowder- US corn is on sale right now at our grocery, and this recipe is from a very old cookbook I have that my mom gave me.  It's very simple to make and is amazing with fresh bread (I prefer sour dough).  It tastes even better if it sits in the refrigerator over night.  I'll give you my measurements rather than the recipe's :)

Fresh Corn Chowder
6 ears of corn (I go for big ones)
1 onion (large), chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups of milk (or so, I just pour)
1/2 teaspoon white pepper (which I am out of today, so I used black, but white is much better I think)
2 tabelspoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 beaten egg

Cut corn off the cobs; scrape cobs.  Combine corn, onion, salt and 1/3 cup of water; bring to a boil.
Simmer, cooking about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add 3.5 cups of the milk, butter, pepper and a dash of salt.  Blend half a cup of milk in flour, then stir in to corn mixture.  Cook and stir until bubbly and thick (this doesn't take long).  Gradually stir a moderate amount of hot mixture into egg, return to corn mixture in saucepan.  Cook and stir over low heat for 5-10 minutes.
Garnish with paprika (I like lots)



2 comments:

  1. I looove this post! The pics are amazing, and I got to eat some! Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete