Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A recipe and a red horse

I tried a new recipe and it was a huge hit- my boyfriend, mother and I loved it!  Plus, I was in the mood for soup, and it hit the spot.  I got it from my Southern Living Magazine.  

Slow Cooker Chicken-Tortilla Soup
1 1/4 lbs skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
1 small onion, chopped (1 large onion)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (1 large green pepper)
1 garlic clove (2 cloves)
2 cups chicken stock
1, 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1, 8oz can tomato sauce
1, 4oz can chopped green chilies (I used diced, medium heat)
1t. chili powder
1t. dried oregano (I omitted this completely)
3/4t. ground cumin (1tsp cumin)
salt & pepper
2 yellow squash, halved and sliced
3oz. green beans, halved (when I make this again, I will omit these and probably do more squash- they didn't exactly flow with the rest of the soup)
1tbs lime juice (more for taste)
2.5 tbs chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
sliced jalapenos, sour cream and tortilla chips for serving

1. combine chicken, onion, pepper, garlic, stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, chili powder, and seasonings in a 4 quart slow cooker.  Season with salt & pepper.
2. Cook, covered, on low for 7 or 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours (I just cooked it on low while I was at work all day).  Add squash and green beans and continue to cook for 30 minutes (I cooked about 45 minutes, on high).  Stir in lime juice and cilantro (I add lots of lime juice).
3. Serve topped with cilantro, jalapenos, sour cream and tortilla chips. 

Spent two great days with my little red horse.
(& I let my Bubby go on a ride with us)






Thanks little red horse.

Bubby was tired after going to Grannies. (I was watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics).

No comments:

Post a Comment